Australia Here We Come! introduces pupils in years 1-3 and beyond to the vast and diverse country of Australia. The lessons are all rooted in story, from real-life reports from children living in or visiting Australia to storybooks and Aboriginal Dreamtime oral storytelling. Each will highlight similarities and differences in landscape, environment, lifestyle, tourism, tradition, climate, culture and more between the pupils’ home locality and this very distant place.
Australia Here We Come! is part of Geography Plus: Primary Teachers’ Toolkit, an eight-book series which contains a wide range of geographical themes, knowledge and ideas; from local to global, covering both human and physical geography.
This book contain eight lessons with starter, main and plenary activities, accompanied by supporting resources including activity sheets, PowerPoints and photosets. These resources can be downloaded for free from a password-protected area of the GA website or purchased on an optional resources CD.
Each lesson contains varied main activities, providing the flexibility to match the content to your needs:
• for an eight-week unit of 50-minute lessons you can work through the book sequentially, selecting one main activity for each lesson and following the plans;
• for a longer session, or for carousel learning, groups of pupils can work through the different main activities suggested in each lesson;
• for a themed day or week the lessons and activities can be combined.
This flexible approach gives you support where you need it and the scope to adopt and adapt the ideas and content with confidence.
Wendy North is a Geography Curriculum Consultant and former Primary Curriculum Development Consultant with the Geographical Association.
Ann Hamblen is a creative writer in schools
This table shows how this book and the Geography Plus series meet the requirements of the 2014 National Curriculum.
Quick guide to lesson resources
Why teach about Australia?
How to teach about Australia
The geography of Australia
Medium term plan
- Lesson 1: Let’s fly to Australia
- Lesson 2: What should we do in Sydney?
- Lesson 3: What is it like to live in Australia?
- Lesson 4: The sun has got his hat on
- Lesson 5: Surfing the waves
- Lesson 6: Experiencing Uluru
- Lesson 7: Coral reef or rainforest?
- Lesson 8: What have we learnt and how can we share?
Further teaching ideas
An enquiry framework
Assessment and progression
Your professional development