Climate change and key topics in the news
Series Editor: Paula Richardson and Tony Richardson
Key Stage: Key Stage 2
£117.99 / £96.99 GA Members*
All the resources and tools you need to deliver thrilling lessons bringing the major issues in world geography alive for your class. This Whiteboard Active pack provides the highest quality BBC content complemented by lively activities to explore climate change and the steps being taken to address the problem. A host of important curriculum objectives are covered in the process.
The pack also explores three other major topics in the news, making your geography lessons relevant and stimulating:
Dealing with Disasters: with a wide range of compelling examples and case studies – from volcanic eruptions and earthquakes to flooding and oil spillages – this topic uses video clips and other resources to investigate the effects of disasters and the different measures that are taken to manage these extreme events.
Animals and Habitats: what can be done to protect endangered species and to help ease the pressure on sensitive habitats? The animals studied include penguins, tigers, polar bears and orang-utans.
Feeding the World: a range of important geographical issues connected with food are investigated – from the pressure on food supply created by a rising global population, to questions arising from the geographical origins and production methods of the food that we eat here in the UK.
Unit 1: What is climate change?
- What is climate change?
- Messages from the ice (1)
- Messages from the ice (2)
- Messages from the ice (3)
- What is the greenhouse effect?
- How the greenhouse effect contributes to global warming
- What do you know about the greenhouse effect?
Unit 2: How do humans effect climate change?
- The human impact
- The problem of air pollution
- Around the world
- A graph to show greenhouse emissions around the world
- Cars and homes
- The effects of global warming and climate change: Two case studies
- How climate change is affecting the Arctic
- How climate change is affecting the Island of Tuvalu
- What can we do?
- Conserving energy in the kitchen
- Being green around the home
- Creating new energy sources
Writing focus: How green are you?
Unit 3: Dealing with disasters
- What is a disaster?
Writing focus: Earthquake report
- Kobe earthquake
- Types of disaster
- The power of the wind
- Natural hazards
- An environmental disaster
- What's the story? (1)
- What's the story? (2)
- Extreme weather
- Famous city flooded!
- Disaster outcomes
- Fire outbreaks
- Flooding on the River Severn
- Flooding in Europe
Unit 4: Endangered animals
- Wanted: A place to live
- Disappearing habitats
- Habitats all around you
- Are we Going to See the Rabbit by Alan Brownjohn
- Do you know this animal?
Writing focus: A water vole called Ratty
- All about the tapir
- Animal under threat
Writing focus: No home for the orang-utan
Unit 5: Feeding people around the World
- Where does our food come from?
- How far does our food travel?
- What can cause a food shortage?
- What is the size of the problem?
- Challenges in Mozambique
- Good news in Niger?
- The chocolate growers
- From cocoa pod to chocolate
Also in this series
£118.99 / £98.99 GA Members*
£117.99 / £96.99 GA Members*
Don't forget to login if you are a Full Personal, Group or Concessionary GA member to receive your discount. If you're an Entry Level Member and wish to upgrade, give us a call on 0114 296 0088.
You might also like
£28.99 / £20.99 GA Members*
£18.99 / £13.99 GA Members*
£8.99 / £5.99 GA Members*
£14.99 / £12.99 GA Members*