easy to use and interesting
Global Learning Programme
The Global Learning Programme supports teaching and learning about global issues in key stages 2 and 3. With support from the GLP, the UK government aims to embed Global Learning as regular practice at whole school, curriculum and classroom level. The programme – with geography as a leading subject - will help pupils gain additional knowledge about the developing world, globalisation, and the causes of poverty and what can be done to reduce it. They will also develop the skills to interpret that knowledge, such as the ability to investigate, think and make judgements. Find out more about the GLP themes and outcomes.
The GLP is also designed to support school improvement. For example, Ofsted guidance provides strong support for the view that global learning is integral to high quality provision and standards in geography. In addition, in a number of schools geography has led whole-school improvement through the Geography Quality Marks.
Browse the tabs below for:
- information about the programme, CPD and opportunities to get involved
- a wealth of resources and information about development and globalisation.
- The GA is offering free training in global learning for Year 6 and key stage 3 teachers. This free half-day taster session will introduce global learning and the work of the Global Learning Programme. Find out more and book online for the making a global curriculum: introducing technology to explore our global village session.
- Use it or lose it! The GLP programmes in England and Wales are due to complete in 2017 – but there are still opportunities to get involved for FREE, and some funding: see Opportunities page.
- Schools in Wales and England now have their own versions of the Geography Quality Marks, each linked to their nation’s Global Learning Programme.
- We have recently published new examplesof practice in global learning are now available from seven clusters of schools in the GLP/GA transitions project, and new exemplification of global learning from Geography Quality Mark schools.
- New geography resources have been added to the GLP England and GLP Wales websites, including resources to support World Food Week, Gender Equality and Send My Friend to School.
About GLP England and GLP Wales
More information about the Global Learning Programme and the GA's role.
Find out about current opportunities and how you and your school can get involved.
Examples of work and supporting documentation from Quality Mark Schools, organised in six themes with suggestions for practice which link closely to the GLP curriculum framework.
Continual professional development courses and publications to enhance your knowledge of global issues.
Useful teaching materials and journal articles.
Links to useful websites about development, sustainability, case studies and much more