NQT Conference: Making a difference in the classroom
Who this course is for
Secondary geography NQTs
Course date and location
We are no longer taking bookings for this course.
This course will bring NQTs together to discuss the successes of the year so far. It will suggest a number of strategies for developing the geography curriculum and extending pedagogical practice.
Some use of new web-based and mobile technologies will be suggested, and the day will also involve some Mission:Explore-style fieldwork activities.
You will leave with a pack of useful materials, some 'homework', and ongoing support will be provided via a blog for geography NQTs. The course provides a great opportunity to reflect on your first year of teaching and prepare for the next.
Delegate reviews of similar courses
'Back in school this morning and feeling reinspired. Thanks to all who were present for a hugely worthwhile day!'
'Lots of inspiration and ideas to take away'
Aims and outcomes
- Update knowledge of latest resources and thinking in secondary geography
- Raise awareness of GA materials for use in teaching and professional development
- Practice using a range of web tools to add a new dimension to student learning
- Meet with other NQT colleagues and develop points of contact for ongoing support
- Produce a personal 'action plan' including important steps to take and professional development targets in the early years of your career
09.00-09.30: Coffee and registration
09.30-11.00: Session 1 - Tales from the Classroom and making connections
- Making a Difference: tips and techniques
- Curriculum-making and the legacy of the APG
- Knowledge update on latest thinking
11.00-11.15: Refreshment break
11.15-12.45: Session 2: Update on GA projects and their possible impact in your classroom
- Practical activities including fieldwork
- Playing your part in the department
13.30-15.30: Session 3: The next few years: where will geography take you?
- Action Planning the next year and beyond
- Discussion on networks and ongoing support and contacts
Alan Parkinson, Freelance author and curriculum consultant
If your organisation would like to include an insert in the delegate packs for this event, please contact Lucy Oxley.
Got a question about this course?
Contact the GA's Events Manager Lucy Oxley (0114 296 0088) who will be happy to help.
Comment on this page
Comments made by GA members appear instantly - make sure you're logged in!
Guest comments will be sent to a moderator for approval.