NQT conference: making a difference in the classroom
Who this course is for
Secondary geography NQTs
Course date and location
London - Saturday 7 February 2015
Birmingham - Saturday 7 March 2015
This course will explore a variety of classroom experiences and possibilities to enhance your KS3 and KS4 lessons. It will particularly focus on planning for progression, using creative and memorable teaching strategies and how to make your classroom an exciting place. It will also look at engaging and meaningful ways to assess students’ geographical progress.
You will leave with a range of resource and lesson ideas and ongoing support will be provided via email.
Registration fees include all course materials, refreshments and lunch.
GA Personal/Group/Concessionary Member: £190
New Member Package*: £294
GA Personal/Group/Concessionary Member: £170
New Member Package*: £274
*Includes course fee and one year's GA membership for your school to Teaching Geography.
Aims and outcomes
This course will:
- explore different ways to assess students, both in short and medium terms in particular focusing on effective planning for student progression in geography
- explore the differences between teaching the two key stages and strategies for doing this well
- explore how to embed skills into geographical content and produce engaging lessons
- raise awareness of recent GA project materials for use in teaching and professional development
- provide time to share knowledge and reflect on classroom experiences
09.00-09.30: Coffee and registration
09.30-10.00: Session 1
What makes a good lesson, features and experiences of the classroom
10.00-11.00: Session 2
Planning for the progression of students in the geography curriculum
11.00-11.15: Refreshment break
11.15-12.45: Session 3
A look at different key stages, the difference in planning, and teaching strategies
13.30-15.00: Session 4
Looking at different ways to teach – a sensory approach to geography
15.00-15.30: Session 5
A look at the GA – how can I be involved? What can they offer me?
Caroline Martingell, Subject Coordinator – Geography, Greenvale School
If your organisation would like to include an insert in the delegate packs for this event, please contact Lucy Oxley.
Have a question about this course?
Contact the GA's Events Manager Lucy Oxley (0114 296 0088) who will be happy to help.
Free access to subscribers