I've booked onto the conference as a student but haven't received any confirmation about the booking being successful.
University of Surrey, Guildford - Thursday 20 - Saturday 22 April 2017
Every year we welcome more than 750 delegates from all over the world to take part in a range of lectures, workshops, field visits and social events and find out about the latest ideas, resources and support in primary and secondary geography.
We look forward to seein you in Guildford. For satellite navigation to the Stag Hill campus please use the postcode GU2 7JP.
Full directions can be found on the getting there page.
We would like to ensure that Conference is as successful as possible for all delegates. If you attended Conference please take a few minutes to leave feedback.
In order to gain a Pathway Certificate of Attendance you will need to have attended a minimum of four sessions from a pathway. Please take a few minutes to provide feedback about the pathway you attended. A certificate will be issued where an email address is provided.
Our Annual Conference provides an opportunity to meet in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere for professional and social development through a range of events including:
- Lectures from subject specialists
- Hands-on workshops for all phases
- Teacher-to-Teacher sessions
- The UK’s largest exhibition of geographical resources
- Day-time receptions and evening events.
The Conference is for delegates of all phases of geographical education, from PGCE and undergraduate students to classroom and FE teachers and lecturers, heads of department and coordinators to teacher educators and overseas visitors. The 2017 programme will offer contemporary teaching ideas from subject experts in more than 100 lectures, workshops, Teacher-to-Teacher sessions and field visits.
“This conference has been invaluable – can’t wait to get back to school!”
“Best value CPD around”
“GA Conference is the highlight of my professional year”
The official GA Conference App has now launched
Access our free event app using your smartphone or tablet by searching for ‘GA Conference’ in Google Play or the App Store. Download today to check out the programme, speakers and exhibitors, and to plan your day.
The theme for this year’s Conference will be ‘Inclusive Geographies?’. Read more about the Conference theme.
- Meteorologist and broadcaster Peter Gibbs will give this year’s Public Lecture on ‘Antarctica - Heartbeat of the Planet’.
- Pathway for students, trainee teachers, NQTs and others at an early stage in their careers, with closing keynote by David Lambert, Chair of Geography Education, UCL Institute of Education.
- Danny Dorling, Halford Mackinder Professor of Geography at the University of Oxford, on GCSE Geography and the UK in 2017.
- A hands-on workshop from Rachel Adams, geography teacher at Wimbledon High School, on practical ways of making GIS.
- Emma Wild, Senior Manager, Standards for Design, Development and Evaluation of General Qualifications at Ofqual, on the ‘Reformed GCSE and A level geography: the view from Ofqual’.
- A practical workshop form Julia Tanner and Jane Whittle, members of EYPPC, on primary geography and mathematics.
- Simon Catling, Emeritus Professor of Primary Education, Oxford Brookes University, on ‘Going beyond ‘the box’: Refreshing the content of primary geography’.
- Hands-on workshops providing support for the new GCSE and A level geography curriculum.
- TeachMeet – Conference special.
First time at the GA Annual Conference?
Download: Top Ideas - First time at Conference
The Conference hosts the UK's largest exhibition of geographical resources giving you the chance to find out about field study centres, publishers, tour operators, exam boards, universities and many other organisations. View the 2017 exhibitors.
Official 2017 Conference Sponsors
Join the GA
For professional journals, huge discounts on publications and CPD and online access to member only resources.Join now
Free access to subscribers