GA Strategic Development Plan: 2009-2014
The GA: The big picture for the next five years
From asking the question 'What kind of GA do we want and need over the next five years?' a strategic plan has evolved from a year of discussions with the Governing Body, the Presidents Group, the Education Committee and the Association at Work day at the Annual Conference. It tries to say what the GA may become over the next five years and how it will get there. It provides a statement of our vision, priorities and strategic direction. It is timely as we enter an 'age of austerity' in terms of public funding for education.
Strategic purposes of the GA
The overarching strategic objective of the GA is '... to further geographical knowledge and understanding through education'.
The following strategic purposes of the GA will serve this main objective:
- to promote and support the learning and teaching of geography in schools and other settings
- to demonstrate the value of geographical understanding in education
- to serve the professional needs of all teachers of geography
- to increase awareness of the benefits of membership and participation to teachers in all sectors of education
- to secure a sustainable financial future.
How is the GA going to achieve these purposes?
In order to focus the GA's activities over the planning period (2009–14), everything it does will fall under these three headings
- membership and community engagement
- support and guidance.
Detailed delivery plans are being written to set out how the GA is going to fulfil its aims for these three areas over the next five years, but the document below offers a summary.
note: this file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you do not have this you can get it free from the Adobe website.
Comment on this page
Comments made by GA members appear instantly - make sure you're logged in! Guest comments will be sent to a moderator for approval.