Chair: Kevin Cook
Email: [email protected]
International Special Interest Group
Chair: Kevin Cook
The International Special Interest Group's aims are:
- To advise and represent the GA on international matters
- To establish and co-ordinate links with international geographical and educational organisations and between schools and individuals
- To further the study and teaching of geography by developing the international dimension of the GA's work, through publications and curriculum-related activities
- To help pupils to understand the world in which they live and the interdependence of individuals, groups and nations by assisting in all forms of exchange between teachers and pupils in Britain and overseas
What we do
We are responsible for increasing a sense of internationalism at all levels of the GA, and are concerned that the GA should present a positive image and be actively involved in international affairs. In order to promote this we organise an International Study Tour every year. We also act as a focus for overseas visitors to the GA's Annual Conference, for whom we organise an International Rendezvous. We also run workshops and lectures at the Conference.
We have a number of projects in hand. These include:
- Providing advice to our overseas corresponding members on how to establish a GA Branch in their school. Contact: Kevin Cook
- Study Tours for teachers - trips abroad for building up contacts and curriculum resource materials. View the Study Tour pages for special reports and further information on forthcoming trips including details of the two annual bursaries available. Contact: Kevin Cook
- Maintaining an overseas corresponding members' database for the GA
- Publishing and circulating an annual Newsletter of activities
The International Special Interest Group also manages the GA International Initiatives Fund. This Fund provides awards, usually of between £250 and £750, to support geographical educators around the world. The closing date for applications is 31 August every year.
note: this file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you do not have this you can get it free from the Adobe website.
Comment on this page
Comments made by GA members appear instantly and don't require security words to be entered - make sure you're logged in! Guest comments will be sent to a moderator for approval.