GA Governing Body
The Governing Body has overall responsibility for the Geographical Association (GA) and as such it has the following key responsibilities:
- To act as guardian of the GA's mission, values and assets
- To protect the probity of the GA
- To ensure that the GA has a strategic direction and a long term vision
- To ensure the vitality and long-term well being of the GA
Members of the Governing Body are the Charitable Trustees of the Association. There are three Named Trustees who have particular responsibility for reviewing the Association's assets, including investments and property.
Main functions of the Governing Body
The main functions of the Governing Body include:
- Determination of the broad policies of the GA and the monitoring of decisions and action taken by Education Group
- The ordering of the finances of the GA in accordance with its Statutes
- The ordering of the election of officers in accordance with its Standing Orders, the appointing of GA representatives on other bodies and the appointing of salaried staff
- The summoning of an Annual General Meeting in accordance with its Statutes
- The establishment, discontinuance, encouragement and oversight of its own sub-committees and working parties
- Reviewing the financial state of the Association (including budgets) and recommending appropriate financial policies, including its investment policy
- Setting appropriate rates for subscriptions, fees and subventions
- Consideration of any other matter referred to the Governing Body by any Committee, Working Group or Board
Governing Body 2012/13
- President: Mr Bob Digby
- Past President: Dr Fran Martin
- Senior Vice President: Dr Hazel Barrett
- Junior Vice President: Mr Mark Higginbottom
- Chair, Education Committee: Mr David Gardner
- Named Trustees: Mr Jeremy Krause
- Honorary Treasurer/Named Trustee: Mr Peter Fox
- Elected members: Mrs Judy Mansell, Mr Alan Marvell, Mr Stephen Scoffham
- Co-option: Mrs Helen Martin, Dr Ian Cook, Ms Camilla Erskine
For further information, or to suggest that the Governing Body should address any issue of concern, contact Richard Gill in the first instance.
Comment on this page
Comments made by GA members appear instantly and don't require security words to be entered - make sure you're logged in!
Guest comments will be sent to a moderator for approval.